|30 days from delivery||Damaged, Defective, Item not as described||Replacement|
|30 days from delivery||Exchange for colors and size, Does not fit||Exchange|
|10 days from delivery||Damaged, Item not as described||Replacement|
This paperback edition with a new Preface is specially designed and priced for the student market. The thirty-eight essays provide every significant topic in the study of Indian politics by eminent experts. They address the links between Indian politics and institutions of the state, ideologies, political processes, social movements, identity politics, government policy, international affairs, and the academia.
The success of India's democratic political system despite immense and multidimensional diversity and differences has been a subject of longstanding academic debate and analysis. In the last few decades, in an increasingly globalized and multicultural world, India has carved its position as a global economic and political power, and Indian polity and society have witnessed rapid transformation in terms of structure, processes, success, and failures. Grasping this swift and phenomenal change is a mammoth task, and The Oxford Companion to Politics in India is the best resource to capture the macro as well as micro view of Indian politics in a global world.
Specially designed and priced to serve the needs of students and teachers of Indian politics, this unprecedented survey presents in one volume, thirty-eight essays on every theme of Indian politics written by experts in the field, and a substantial new Preface for the student readers. Clustered into eight sections, these essays address the links between Indian politics and institutions of the state, ideologies, political processes, social movements, identity politics, government policy, international affairs, and the academia. Weaving together historical narratives with fresh analyses, this volume provides an accessible yet deeply researched narrative of politics in modern India.
PART I: THE INSTITUTIONAL SETTING
1. Partha Chatterjee: The State
2. Uday S. Mehta: Constitutionalism
3. Vernon Hewitt and Shirin M. Rai: Parliament
4. Subrata K. Mitra and Malte Pehl: Federalism
5. James Manor: Local Governance
7. Alistair McMillan: The Election Commission
8. E. Sridharan: The Party System
PART II: SOCIAL CLEAVAGES, IDENTITY, AND POLITICS
9. John Harriss: Class and Politics
10. Surinder S. Jodhka: Caste and Politics
11. Amrita Basu: Gender and Politics
12. Sanjib Baruah: Regionalism and Secession-ism
13. Sunil Khilnani: Politics and National Identity
14. Christophe Jaffrelot: The Hindu Nationalists and Power
15. Bishnu N. Mohapatra: Minorities and Politics
PART III: POLITICAL PROCESSES: Yadav
16. Zoya Hasan: Political Parties
17. Stuart Corbridge: Politics and Culture
18. Arun R. Swamy: Political Mobilization
19. Ramachandra Guha: Political Leadership
20. Anirudh Krishna: Local Politics
PART IV: IDEOLOGICAL CONTESTATIONS IN INDIAN POLITICS
21. Dudipta Kaviraj: Nationalism
22. Neera Chandhoke: Secularism
23. Yogendra Yadav: Representation
24. Gopal Guru: Social Justice
PART V: SOCIAL MOVEMENTS AND CIVIL SOCIETY
25. Amita Baviskar: Social Movements
26. Sudha Pai: Farmers' Movements
27. Anupama Roy: The Women's Movement
PART VI: POLITICS AND POLICY
29. Devesh Kapur: Political Economy of the State
30. Aseema Sinha: Business and Politics
31. Dilip Mookherjee: Government Accountability
32. Rahul Mukherji: The Political Economy of Reforms
33. Atul Kohli: Politics and Redistribution
34. Jean Dreze: Employment Guarantee and the Right to Work
PART VII: INDIA AND THE WORLD
35. Kanti Bajpai: India and the World
36. Sumit Ganguly: Indian Defence Policy
PART VIII: WAYS OF LOOKING AT INDIAN POLITICS
37. Susanne Hoeber Rudolph and Lloyd I. Rudolph: An Intellectual History of the Study of Indian Politics
38. Steven I. Wilkinson: Data and the Study of Indian Politics
Notes on Contributors
|Edited By||Niraja Gopal Jayal, Pratap Bhanu Mehta|
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|Publication Year||2011 October|
|Number of Pages||644 Pages|
|Book Type||Study Book|
This book is an excellent compilation of essays in one volume by eminent scholars in their respective fields.It is the resourceful compendium for understanding the dynamic nature of Indian Polity for all.Also, the book is highly helpful for the candidates appearing in the Civil Services Examination as it travels through the Indian Polity and Governance with great references to the scholars of Indian Politics.The book is quite useful for the political science students, scholars, teachers & for people interested in knowing the dynamism of the political system of India and its implications on changing nature of Indian Economy.
I wont kill the joy of reading this book by tagging its usefulness with respect to some examination. I just loved going though so many essays written by eminent scholars. The book has added so much to my understanding about the society and I would recommend it to anyone who has been reading on the topic but now wants something more. I wont recommend it to beginners as the writers seem to assume that the reader is well acquainted with the topics.
I have particularly liked the essays of social cleavage.
For any student of the Indian political system, this is a perfect compendium of diverse viewpoints encompassing every significant factor related to our politics.
The contributors including big names like Ramachandra Guha, Sunil Khilnani, Pratap Bhanu Mehta, Christophe Jaffrelot cannot be missed at all.
First of all thanks to Oxford for making this copy truely economical. The book is a collection of most relevant issues of politics in India. The papers are well written and referenced. The divisions give a wonderful overview of the concepts of Indian politics ranging from macro factors to local and micro factors. One can pick up things s/he needs and then go on searching for more references from the book!
One of the best books on Political Science particularly on Indian Politics . It has separate chapters for each concepts in Indian Politics by experts. I refer this to everyone of political science students & who have interest in Indian Politics to buy this excellent book .
The delivery by FLIPKART is too excellent, hats off for their much appreciable and timely service !