Track using Order ID
Login and do more!
- Track individual Orders
- View your entire Order history
- Cancel individual Orders
- Conveniently review products and sellers
The White Tiger (Hindi), winner of the 2008 Man Booker Prize, shows how a poor Indian man breaks barriers and sometimes the law, in order to become a successful entrepreneur.
Summary Of The Book
The White Tiger (Hindi), revolves around Balram Halwai, a successful young man who was once a poor villager. He narrates the story of his life, about how he became an entrepreneur, through letters he is composing to the Chinese Premier.
The White Tiger (Hindi) starts off in Laxmangarh, a village in which Balram was born. He is poor, and works as a chauffeur for a wealthy man. His employer eventually moves to New Delhi, and takes Balram along with him. The protagonist witnesses the massive inequality between the rich and the poor sections of society in the city.
One night, his employer’s drunk wife, Pinky Madam, insists on driving the car. Much to their horror, she runs over a child. This becomes a hit and run case, and Balram is told that he needs to confess to the crime to protect Pinky Madam. Eventually his employer uses his connections in the police, and the case fizzles out. Balram starts to become resentful and angry towards the privileged classes. He says that India works on a system in which 99.9 per cent of the population serve the remaining 0.1 per cent. The driver’s own ambitions begin to rise, and he decides to take matters into his own hands. The White Tiger (Hindi) shows how he escapes to Bangalore, and bribes the police so that he can open his own taxi service. He also covers up a fatal accident. Balram becomes a successful entrepreneur, and he says that the end justifies the means.
The White Tiger (Hindi), originally published in English, brings to light the social and economical barriers that exist in India. The novel touches upon various topics, like corruption, globalization, discrimination, and violence. The book has sold more than 200,000 copies. In 2009, it was announced that the book will be adapted into a movie.
About Aravind Adiga
Aravind Adiga, born in 1974, is an Indian author and journalist.
He has also written Between the Assassinations and Last Man in Tower.
Adiga was born in Madras, and pursued English Literature at Columbia University in New York. He graduated in 1997 as the salutatorian. He then enrolled into Magdalen College, Oxford. The author started his journalism career as an intern at the Financial Times. He was responsible for covering investments and stock market news. Adiga later went on to join TIME, where he was made a South Asia correspondent. After three years, the author decided to become a freelance journalist. His articles have been published in the Sunday Times, The New Yorker, and The Times of India. Adiga lives in Mumbai, India.
|Publisher||Harper Collins Publishers India|
|Number of Pages||288 Pages|
|Height||8.43 Inches (US)|
|Width||0.79 Inches (US)|