Learn How Indian Mythology can rewrite Modern Management. Is there an Indian way of doing business? Indian business is modeled on the western concept of corporations and theories of management and governance. But cultural differences have often made that an imperfect fit. So is there an Indian way of doing business? That question is prompted by several recent developments.
- Modern business has been slow to recognize the environmental costs of development.
- The great recession of 2008 has exposed several weaknesses in western governance models.
- And global economic power is rapidly shifting to the emerging economies of Asia.
- As India prepares to claim its rightful place in the global economic order - we search the past to imagine the enterprise of the future.
- Business Sutra is a special series of conversations with well known mythologist Devdutt Pattanaik.
It is an attempt to make the wisdom of mythology accessible and applicable to the corporate world. Hosted by CNBC TV18's Menaka Doshi, Business Sutra discusses the purpose of a corporation, short term goals versus long term ideals, leadership qualities, dharma sankat and modern day business conflicts and challenges.
(Sutra: a collection of aphorisms relating to some aspect of the conduct of life)
Is there any Indian way of doing business?
- Indian business concepts are dominated by western management theory. But in India, business is meant to go beyond the profit motive!
- Purpose of a Corporation?
- Short Term v/s Long Term Goals
- Family Businesses: Advantage India
Who is a Leader?
- Are you Indra - chasing success, or Vishnu - with success chasing you? Who is a leader? What are ideal leadership qualities?
- Leadership: Indra v/s Vishnu
- Tools of A Leader
- Ram: The Ideal Leader!
- Parshuram to Buddha: Leadership in Different Business Cycles
Dharma and Dharma Sankat:
- Principles, not rules, define the Indian way of living. What is the dharma of business?
- Dharma and Dharma Sankat
- Relationship between Owner & Organisation
- Ramayana v/s Mahabharat: Contextual Leadership
Modern Day Business Dilemmas:
- Leadership celebrates creativity, innovation and risk taking. Modern governance standards emphasize the need to de-risk!
- CEO v/s Board: Conflict?
- Can the End Justify the Means?
Education: The Indian case study method
- Modern education and training systems ignore the age old belief, that knowledge can never only be given, it must also be taken.
- Experiential Education
- Transfer of Knowledge to Next Generation
- Vikram Vetaal: The Indian Case Study Method