First published in 2013, this book Environment and Ecology has witnessed a steady increase in popularity and readership over the last two years. Drawing upon his wide academic and teaching experience, Prof Majid Husain has now revised this edition based on constructive suggestions from various quarters. Covering the vast range of topics prescribed in the course structure of the Preliminary and Main Examinations of the civil services exam, the book is settling down as an indispensible book for the aspirants. It is also emerging as a widely appreciated general category book. Chapters at a glance Environment and Ecology: Basic Concepts Plant and Animal Kingdoms Major Biomes Biodiversity Biodiversity and legislation Environmental degradation and management Climate Change Natural hazards and disaster management Distribution of world resources Locational factors of economic activities Contemporary Socio Economic issues Major Crops and Cropping Patterns in India Glossary Key revision features in this edition
About the Author
- Inclusion of the aquatic ecosystems, estuaries and wetlands in Chapter 4.
- Categorisation of species in the form of endangered, vulnerable and critically vulnerable
- Causes and pattern of migration of birds, coral bleaching etc
- Problems of waste disposal, environmental pollution, environmentally sensitive places etc included
- Coverage of specific natural phenomena like cloud bursts, cold-waves, heat-waves, tornadoes, El-Nino etc.
- New concepts of urban geography like Smart Cities, Sustainable Cities and Eco-Cities
- Special write up on Nepal earthquake
Prof Majid Husain
, is former Head, Department of Geography, Jamia Millia Islamia (Central University), New Delhi. A prolific writer, he has authored more than 60 books in geography and related topics.