Written by a well-known sociologist and public intellectual, this title - "Indian Society: Themes and Social Issues" stands apart in the cluster of books on the Indian Society. Beginning with the historical moorings and formation of the Indian society, it journeys through its major components - Caste and Caste System, Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes and Religious Minorities. Written in a lucid way, this book caters to the requirements of Civil Services aspirants in sociology, some topics of anthropology, general studies and essay besides catering to the requirements of university/college students.
• Inclusion of current social issues like 'honour killing' of young women, social impact of internet, development and displacement of people.
• Exclusive coverage on ethnicity, civil society, multiculturalism, diaspora and social exclusion.
• Detailed knowledge of women and society, village india, urbanisation and social movements.
• Annexures that cover Scheduled Tribes and other Traditional Forest Dwellers Act, 2006 and Panchayats (Extension to Scheduled Areas) Act, 1996
• Set of questions, along with indicative answers are provided at the end of each chapter