This is 24th edition of Spectrums Handbook of General Studies. In 2011, the Union Public Service Commission came out with a new syllabus and plan of examination for the Civil Services Preliminary Examination. We have designed the contents of the book to suit the needs of the candidates of this examination.
The given syllabus is quite sketchy however, we feel we have done justice to each subject within the space limitations. The sections on Indian and World Geography, Indian Polity and Governance, Economic and Social Development, General Issues in Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity and Climate change and General Knowledge review have been revised and updated after a thorough analysis of the syllabus and the trend of the questions in the 2011 and 2012 examinations. More questions have been added in the various sections based on the pattern in recent examinations in General Studies. Besides, the section on Current Events is entirely new and covers important issues and events. This section is useful for the other subjects as well-especially polity, economy, ecological issues and scientific developments. Two Practice Tests have been designed for students to assess their level of knowledge.
As per the new syllabus, the subjects for General Studies Paper I will cover
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian national movement
- Indian and World Geography physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
- Indian Polity and governance-constitution, political system, panchayati raj, public policy, rights issues, etc.
- Economic and social development-sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on environmental ecology, bio-diversity and climate change
- General science